SERVER VIRTUALIZATION. ”Host multiple independent systems on Linux.”
Virtualization for high-performance systems. Allows you to run multiple servers on a single hardware.
One of the best tools available for virtualization and paravirtualization is: KVM.
You have the following benefits:
● Better use of hardware. Paravirtualization technology that take advantage of the hardware components, distributing optimally the use of each virtual machine.
● Create or debug test systems without touching those which are in production and without requiring other machines for the task .
● Allows the running of obsolete legacy systems on emulated generic hardware, where it doesn't depend on old difficult to repair computers with hard to find parts.
● In such cases, allows a system designed for older hardware to run at speeds of modern hardware which has expansion possibilities that are far beyond the original system (add disks using files, use of current CPUs, etc.)
● Hardware debug tools (virtual) wich can be run at time of execution, for developers to test new systems.
● backup virtual machines by only copying the files that define and drive images (even while the system is running), offering great flexibility.
● Extended security allowing advanced network configuration (virtual switches, VLANs, etc) Software.
● monitoring and statistics in real time.
● Possibility of clustering sets of machines on one computer or distributed among different virtual servers (clusters).
● Hot-swapping virtual hardware (memory, disk, CPU, etc.)..